Summers upon us and the ice cream vans are in full swing and as tempting as it may seam the eat your entire bodies worth of ice cream, after all our hard work in the gym getting rid of those Christmas puds is it really worth it?
Well if your sweet tooth is craving a summer desert why not try making your very own sorbet?
Not only are homemade sorbet made from delicious fresh fruits, they also contain even more flavor than any old vanilla ice cream. Oh did I mention it’s also very quick and simple to make!
Serving up; Raspberry Sorbet
All you need:
- 1packet of raspberries (fresh or frozen), 170g, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
(makes 2-3 serves)
Lets get started…
- Place the water and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for a few of minutes till a thin syrup forms. Allow to cool.
- Purée the berries and remove the seeds. You can do this by using a rubber spatula, press the mixture through a mesh strainer set over a medium bowl or pass it through a food mill fitted with a fine disk into a medium bowl.
- Add the raspberries, mix then cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. (1 hour)
- After that place in shallow tray in the freezer, stirring the sorbet by hand every 30mins for the first two hours to prevent crystallisation. You don't need an ice-cream machine, just stirred by hand.
- Finally freeze the mixture (over night, 5-7 hours) and by the next day, you have a great texture and ready to sever however you like.
Fun, sweet and a lot healthier than an ice cream!
Tip: Its fun to play around with combinations of fruit. Just throw whatever fruit or berries you like: blueberries, strawberries, melon, raspberries, and passion fruit... The possibilities are endless.